Monday, August 17, 2015

#RPGaDay2015

Tired of these yet? They'll stop in a couple of weeks.


Favorite Fantasy RPG: Hmm. Fantasy is not a genre I love. I don't know if it's because "fantasy gaming" is largely equated, fairly or not, with D&D, and I don't much like D&D's "kill shit and take stuff" mentality (yeah, yeah, you don't have to play it that way, but that's what the mechanics want you to do) or because I fantasy fiction tends to bore me. If I'm gonna play a fantasy game, I want high fantasy, lots of magic, and I want to help build the world.

Now, I recently asked on Twitter what fantasy games involved collaborative world-building, and evidently Dungeon World and 13th Age both qualify. I own both, but have read neither (yet). Of the games I own and I've played, I think I have to go with Desolation. It's fantasy, but it's also post-apocalyptic and interesting, and deviates from a lot of the fantasy tropes that I don't care for.

If I could just play in a game that takes the themes seriously, rather than yukking about "rat cheese" and mutant cows...