Thing is, this year I didn't get to the Oscar post at all (I started it, but I was cooking all day Sunday and never finished, and my predictions were off anyway). So here's the menu and the cooking process.
- Amour: Frisse salad with mushrooms and poached egg.
- Argo: Maple-glazed "sitting" duck.
- Beasts of the Southern Wild: Fried gator bits with remoulade and hushpuppies.
- Django Unchained: Asparagus with tarragon vinaigrette and hazelnuts.
- Les Miserables: "Red and black" cake (chocolate cake with raspberry filling).
- Life of Pi: Lentil cakes with a cucumber/cumin raita.
- Lincoln: "Emancipated" bison stew (free range, you see).
- Silver Linings Playbook: Crabby snacks.
- Zero Dark Thirty: Chocolate-dipped ice cream cones.
We actually started Saturday, making what we could. First thing we did was make the raita for the lentil cakes, since that would keep overnight in the fridge. This involved chopping up cucumber, cilantro, parsley:
|Various green things.|
And then toasting and grinding up cumin seeds.
|Yeah, baby. You'll be cumin.|
|Note the gutted cucumber in the bowl on the bottom.|
|"Garlic" has less sexy wordplay than "cumin."|
|God, I love slow cookers.|
|Michelle, stirring patiently.|
|You'll come out right, right? Right?|
|Roast, little fungi, roast.|
|Michelle was very concerned that her cakes would not be well-received.|
|But c'mon, look at that.|
|Duck in its natural state.|
|If it seems like we're disorganized, holy shit, you have no idea.|
Right, back to the duck.
|Cutting off excess skin, which is then rendered down for fat.|
|Scoring the skin.|
|Aw, they look like...little...butchered...ducks.|
|"Spackled together," "iced," what difference.|
Right, ice cream cones! Now, we could have bought cones, but y'know, fuck that. That's for wimps. So we made, basically, crepes, and I put Cheyenne to work rolling them up. They actually solidified right away.
|Cheyenne, deftly rolling.|
|Me, making crepes.|
|Cheyenne and her handiwork.|
|Just her handiwork.|
|Michelle, makin' cones.|
|How can you refuse?|
|See? This all happens at once.|
|I seriously look like I'm about to cut somebody's face, but I'm not.|
Well, whatever. Actually that might have been the glaze for the duck. I made that - maple syrup, orange juice, honey, cooked down, then the ducks came out and I glazed 'em.
|The kitchen smelled amaaaazing.|
|Which is actually really hard to photograph.|
|But here's one half.|
|And here's the other.|
So there! Another successful Oscar dinner. Best food, for my money, was the gator bits, the salad and the ice cream cones. Everything was good, though.